Friday, March 6, 2009

Numbers 13-14 Proverbs 20-

Numbers 13-14

Moses gave specific instructions to his spies. The men came back saying the men there were too powerful. The Israelites also claimed that the people of great size were descendants of the Nephilim vs 33 (Genesis 6:4: The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them.) Stephanie Schwartz did a great message on remembering the days of Noah, and taught about the Nephilim in WBS.

Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."

The people were weeping, saying they should have stayed in Egypt. Seeing how Joshua and Caleb spoke against the people and rebuked them saying not to rebel against God! I love seeing how these 2 men had faith that God would would lead them in to the land (vs 8). The people then spoke of stoning Joshua and Caleb!!! God had to come down and speak with Moses about the people! Chapter 14 is such a great chapter!

God is so angry with the people, He says that only Joshua and Caleb and the people under 20 years old will enter in to the promised land. They had to wait 40 years and for each person who wasn't allowed to enter, to die in the desert.

Vs 22 not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times-
23 not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it.

Here are the pleas made by Joshua to the Lord-

18 'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.' 19 In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now." 20 The LORD replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked.

Then, the people said, we've sinned, we'll go take the land! Moses warns them, I am not with you, don't go up, you'll be defeated! Still, they rejected His word and attacked and were beaten back!

Proverbs 20-
To sum up Proverbs, I'd say a lot of it is about watching what you say and don't be lazy!!

Vs 3 It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.
19 A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much.

Great verses against laziness!
Vs 4 A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.
Vs 13 Do not love sleep or you will grow poor; stay awake and you will have food to spare.

This verse reminds me how God is in control, not me :) Vs 24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD!

God, thank you for for your love, for forgiving my sins and for being slow to anger with me as I strive daily to become more of who you want me to be. Help me to know You are in control of ALL things and that I count on you ONLY and not myself or others! Give me energy throughout my days so I won't love sleep or be a sluggard!

No comments:

Post a Comment