Friday, March 20, 2009

Luke 4-
Jesus tempted.

Lord, help me to remember that when I'm tempted to sin, I can stand strong and refuse my urge to sin!

Vs 8 "Worship the Lord your God and serve him only."
God, as this verse states, we're only to worship you! Help me remember that I live for your glory and not the glory of others.

Vs 14 Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit.
I wonder what this means? Does this mean he felt so encouraged by triumphing over sin? That's how I think I'd feel if I resisted temptation, empowered in the Spirit!

Wow, to hear scripture read from the Old Testament prophet Isaiah then for Jesus to say "today it's fulfilled!" I think too how, just as Isaiah wrote, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news..." We too have been given God's truth and have been called to share the good news with others!

Seeing the power and authority Jesus has over demons. (vs 34, 41). The demons possessed people and knew who Jesus was and had to obey Him!

From this passage too we learn that Simon was married (at one point) an because he had a mother in law who was ill. (vs 38-39). Thinking of all the service Simon did for Jesus, having had a wife and possible family at home too...good reminder how Peter's service was also his wife's service. (Pastor Mike did a sermon on that in 08!).

Vs 42 At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place. 2 things here for me to remember, Jesus went out at daybreak (the time in the morning when light first appears) AND went to a solitary place (separated from or unfrequented by others; remote or secluded; lonely place)

Deut. 7-8
God tells the Israelites He's going to conquer 7 nations that are larger and stronger them the Israelites and is going to deliver them over. They needed to be destroyed, and not to marry into their families because they'd start to serve other gods and that'd make God angry!

6 For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. 7 The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the LORD loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. 9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. 10 But those who hate him he will repay to their face by destruction; he will not be slow to repay to their face those who hate him. 11 Therefore, take care to follow the commands, decrees and laws I give you today. 2 If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the LORD your God will keep his covenant of love with you, as he swore to your forefathers.

TO be called "his treasured possession." The Lord loved these people. How hard to see the people He loved the most, sin against Him. Thank you God for being a faithful God, for loving us despite our sin, forgiving us.

18 But do not be afraid of them; remember well what the LORD your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt. 19 You saw with your own eyes the great trials, the miraculous signs and wonders, the mighty hand and outstretched arm, with which the LORD your God brought you out. The LORD your God will do the same to all the peoples you now fear.

21 Do not be terrified by them, for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a great and awesome God.

23 But the LORD your God will deliver them over to you, throwing them into great confusion until they are destroyed.

God warns the Israelites not to bring idols, silver or gold into their houses...this is also how we should view sin, it's detestable to the LORD your God. 26 Do not bring a detestable thing into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Utterly abhor and detest it, for it is set apart for destruction.

He didn't ask for much. Don't take part in idolatry, don't fear just trust the Lord. Verse 21 God WHO IS AMONG YOU is a GREAT and AWESOME GOD! Amen!!!

2 Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. 3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. 4 Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years.

The love God had for the Israelites- Bless you, increase your #'s, fruit of your womb, crops, grain, wine, calves, no disease. Everything!

God, as I read this passage, a family has been brought to mind who's struggling to provide food. I pray God that they'll cling to you during this trial and that you'll enable me to help them during this tough time.

Lord, I know that even if we didn't have food, your word alone is enough! Luke 4 said Jesus went 40 days without food!

5 Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you.

Thank you God for disciplining me. It shows you love me and that you're refining me to who you want me to be! Help me too to discipline my children the right way, so they know that you love us too much to let them continue in their sin.

This passage, God tells the people about the good land He's going to bring them in to after all these 40 years of testing and hardship. This reminds me to of our promise of heaven!

9 a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing!

10 When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you.11 Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. When we've been blessed 14 then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 17 You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." 18 But remember the LORD your God, for it is HE who gives you the ability to produce wealth"

God, help me to never forget that You alone are the provider of every good thing in my life! Thank you for giving Robby the ability to provide for our family and God that we've never gone a day without a roof over our head and food in our stomachs! Let us not be proud God but always say that You God gave us everything.

Chiara posted a great comment-
Luke 4: 13When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.

This passage struck me because I thought about how Satan did not waste time tempting or ridiculing Christ unless it was a good time–such as Christ hungry in the desert or before His crucifixion. This reminded me that spiritual warfare is much more intense and effective when I create “opportune times” for temptation and sin–I might skip being in the Word that day, I might shortchange my prayer time, or I might be gratifying my sinful nature that day by choice. Whatever the reason, spiritual warfare can be more easily fought when I have been growing in my knowledge of God, when I am choosing obedience and when I am being consistent in my spiritual disciplines.

God, when I am weak, that's when Satan wants to swoop in and tempt me! Help me to stand strong against the devil!

No comments:

Post a Comment