Friday, March 20, 2009

Luke 3- Deut. 5-6

Luke 3-
2during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the desert.

3He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

4As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.

This is a little off topic but, here John has been given the task of preparing the way for the Lord, informing others of His coming. I also think about how WE prepare the way for others, if we use every opportunity to talk to people, we don't know where that leads. Planting seeds.....

vs 5 The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth. 6And all mankind will see God's salvation.' "
Crooked road will become straight, rough ways smooth. Complicated will become simple! We'll be able to know the way, God's laid it out for us!

8"Produce fruit in keeping with repentance." 9The axe is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire." 7His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

God, help us to examine our lives to see if we're bearing good fruit! The warning here is bad trees are cut down and burned.

18And with many other words John exhorted the people and preached the good news to them. Exhorted: To urge by strong, often stirring argument, admonition, advice, or appeal.

John rebuked Herod because of his sin and evil things he'd done and was locked in prison and eventually beheaded for speaking the truth! (vs 19-20) Do I rebuke people when they're doing wrong? I should!

Reading vs 21-22 Jesus prayed and the heavens opened up and the holy spirit descended on him. What a great visual to think about when we pray! All distractions are gone and we have direct communication with God!

Vs 22 To have your heavenly father say "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

I want to hear these words too someday, well done good and faithful servant, child who I love, I am well pleased!

Jesus was on this earth for 33 years. I'm 28. How much work have I done for the Kingdom in my time here??? Verse 23 says he was 30 years old when he began his ministry.

It's so neat to read the line of Jesus through Joseph going all the way back to Shem (son of Noah) to Seth (son of Adam)!

Deut 5-6

1 Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, O Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them.
We can't just KNOW the Laws, we have to learn them, study them, memorize them.

10 Commandments Vs 7-22

Vs 15 Mighty hand and an outstretched arm. What a visual! God brought them out of Egypt with a mighty hand an and outstretched arm!

God I pray that you will help my children to honor and obey me as I tried to honor and obey my parents!!! (vs 16)

29 Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!

Lord, help me to fear you and to teach others to fear you as well! You are a JUST God, who punishes for sin!

32 So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. 33 Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.

Help me Lord to walk in the way you want me to!

No comments:

Post a Comment