Wednesday, May 20, 2009

2 Samuel 19-20 Acts 20-

2 Samuel 19-20

Joab sure wasn't afraid to speak his mind against the King whom God had anointed! Sometimes we need that friend who'll confront us harshly with what needs to be said! "6 You love those who hate you and hate those who love you. You have made it clear today that the commanders and their men mean nothing to you. I see that you would be pleased if Absalom were alive today and all of us were dead.7 Now go out and encourage your men. I swear by the LORD that if you don't go out, not a man will be left with you by nightfall. This will be worse for you than all the calamities that have come upon you from your youth till now."

18 They crossed at the ford to take the king's household over and to do whatever he wished. When Shimei son of Gera crossed the Jordan, he fell prostrate before the king 19 and said to him, "May my lord not hold me guilty. Do not remember how your servant did wrong on the day my lord the king left Jerusalem. May the king put it out of his mind. 20 For I your servant know that I have sinned, but today I have come here as the first of the whole house of Joseph to come down and meet my lord the king."

After wronging the King, Shimei was quick and humble to apologize! He fell prostrate at the king and confessed his sin.

3 When David returned to his palace in Jerusalem, he took the ten concubines he had left to take care of the palace and put them in a house under guard. He provided for them, but did not lie with them. They were kept in confinement till the day of their death, living as widows.

This is so sad! Because Abasalam had publicly humiliated the concubines of David, they lived out the remainder of their days as widows!

(vs 1) Now a troublemaker named Sheba revolved against David, taking men of Israel with him! David said he would be more trouble than Absalam was and to hunt him down. Upon arriving at Abel Beth Maacah they started to destroy the city trying to get in to get Sheba. A "wise woman" asked to speak with Joab and found out that he only wanted Sheba! They cut his head off and threw it over the wall of the city!

Acts 20-
(vs 1-2) Despite all that Paul encountered or knew what was coming, he spoke words of encouragement to the disciples! Paul has such a testimony!

24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace. "

Paul warns the men too that wolves will come to try and destroy the flock and to beware of them! 30Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

God, help me to guard against whatever wolves might come, help me to speak words of encouragement like Paul did, and to remember my life is yours to do whatever you want with it! Help me to share the gospel with those who need to hear and that their eyes may be opened to the truth. When trouble comes too God, help me to be wise, like the woman in 2 Samuel who saved her whole town by simply asking Joab what he wanted! Thank you for the friends in my life who exhort me in the truth! Lord, most of all, when I sin like Shimei did, help me to fall prostrate and confess it to you right away God!

No comments:

Post a Comment