Friday, May 8, 2009

1 Samuel 23-24 Acts 7-

1 Samuel 23-24
When things went wrong with the Philistines, “David inquired of the LORD”. People would question David, saying they were in fear and again, David inquired of the LORD!
God, I need to inquire you more! You have all the answers, I stupidly assume I know the right answers. God, I need to depend on you, rely on you, ask you!
Vs 14, Day after day Saul searched for David but God did not give David into his hands!
It’s awesome to see that God had a plan for David’s life and Saul wasn’t going to thwart that!
16 And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God. 17 "Don't be afraid," he said. "My father Saul will not lay a hand on you. You will be king over Israel, and I will be second to you. Even my father Saul knows this."
What an encouraging friend Jonathan was to David. He told David just what he needed to hear, he “helped him find strength in God”. Lord, I pray that you’ll give me the right words to help encourage others who need it.
Saul had this sick obsession to kill David when he hadn’t done anything wrong to Saul! As he got closer to David, the Philistines raided their land. Saul made a choice whether to continue pursuing David or rid the Philistines of the land and he chose to fight the Philistines. (Vs 28) Once the Philistines were gone, Saul went right back to chasing David.
10 This day you have seen with your own eyes how the LORD delivered you into my hands in the cave. Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, 'I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the LORD's anointed.'11 See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life.
God gave David the opportunity here to kill Saul yet David knew killing the anointed King whom God had chosen was wrong! Instead, David confronted Saul, Saul wept (vs 16) and resolved not to pursue David any longer. (vs 22)
Acts 7-
The history of the Old Testament is just amazing, how God orchestrates everything that happened! From Joseph being sold into slavery who then became high in command in Egypt, to Moses being born, protected then raised in Egypt and led the slaves out of Egypt! I love reading vs 9 how “but God was with him”. Joseph’s been sold into slavery. Genesis 50:20 "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.
At 80 years old, Moses proceeded to lead the people out of Israel (34I have indeed seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their groaning and have come down to set them free. Now come, I will send you back to Egypt.')
People stopped thinking about Moses and God and turned to their own idols (41That was the time they made an idol in the form of a calf. They brought sacrifices to it and held a celebration in honor of what their hands had made.) We constantly need to be directing our thoughts and prayers to God…if we don’t, it can bring about sin and destruction!
Vs 50 Has not my hand made all these things?'


Stephen testified, he shared the truth of the Bible, he said that these people had killed the prophets (vs 52) and they’d killed Jesus (The righteous One) and the people stoned him for it. Still, even when dying, Stephen called out to the Lord “do not hold this sin against him”. It’s so weird too to see that Saul was present at Stephens stoning.
Vs 53 reminds us that we’ve received the law but we need to obey the law! We need to not resist the Holy Spirit (vs 51). If God has called us to do something, we need to do it and with a right attitude.
God, thank you for this passage of scripture that I needed to read today. God, I need to pray more to you and not take things all on myself. Thank you that we can come to you at anytime and that you hear my prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment