Monday, May 4, 2009

1 Samuel 17-18

10 Then the Philistine said, "This day I defy the ranks of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other." 11 On hearing the Philistine's words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified

26 David asked the men standing near him, "What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?"

Goliath was over 9 feet tall. For 40 days Goliah came out and challenged the Israelites. Nowhere does it say that Saul ever tried to consult the Lord during this time! They were afraid! Goliah was insulting God!

David wouldn’t take no for an answer, he knew he could triumph. He knew that God was on his side, no matter how small he was or hor large Goliah was! He had faith and trust! What an awesome testimony that David wasn’t afraid and spoke out against Goliath! He had such assurance!

37 The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." Saul said to David, "Go, and the LORD be with you." 45 David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands."

I like too how David said in front of everyone what was going to take place. Goliath was going to die and he was going to cut his head off!

9 And from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David. 10 The next day an evil spirit from God came forcefully upon Saul. He was prophesying in his house, while David was playing the harp, as he usually did. Saul had a spear in his hand 11 and he hurled it, saying to himself, "I'll pin David to the wall." But David eluded him twice. 12 Saul was afraid of David, because the LORD was with David but had left Saul.

Here we have David and Saul, God had taken his spirit from Saul and given it to David. This made Saul jealous and afraid (vs 15) of what David could accomplish. He tried to kill David and plot against him by having him fight the Philistines for Michals hand. All that Saul planned for David’s destruction didn’t happen. Vs 14 talking about David, 14 In everything he did he had great success, because the LORD was with him. If Saul could have put his feelings aside, he probably could have been a good mentor to David, having reigned in power for so many years and having known what upsets the Lord from his past experience. Instead Saul became David’s enemy!

Vs 28 When Saul realized that the LORD was with David and that his daughter Michal loved David, 29 Saul became still more afraid of him, and he remained his enemy the rest of his days.

Lord, help me not to get caught up in my feelings that would hinder me from doing your will. I don’t want to be fearful of anything, I only want to fear You who can kill body and soul and want to do your will for my life. Help me to be confident like David.

No comments:

Post a Comment