Friday, April 17, 2009

Judges 5-6 John 8-

Judges 5-6

2 "When the princes in Israel take the lead, when the people willingly offer themselves— praise the LORD!
9 My heart is with Israel's princes, with the willing volunteers among the people. Praise the LORD!
31 "So may all your enemies perish, O LORD! But may they who love you be like the sun when it rises in its strength." Then the land had peace forty years.

1 Again the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD, 6 Midian so impoverished the Israelites that they cried out to the LORD for help. 7 When the Israelites cried to the LORD because of Midian, 8 he sent them a prophet, who said, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: I brought you up out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 9 I snatched you from the power of Egypt and from the hand of all your oppressors. I drove them from before you and gave you their land.

God, help me Lord to not worship anything but you, if there are idols in my life (5:6), convict me of it Lord and any evil I may have in me(5:1)! Help me to continually willingly and voluntarily offer myself for your service God(5:2,9)!

10 I said to you, 'I am the LORD your God; do not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you live.' But you have not listened to me." 12 When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, "The LORD is with you, mighty warrior." 13 "But sir," Gideon replied, "if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our fathers told us about when they said, 'Did not the LORD bring us up out of Egypt?' But now the LORD has abandoned us and put us into the hand of Midian." 14 The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?" 15 "But Lord , " Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." 16 The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together." 17 Gideon replied, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me.

25 That same night the LORD said to him, "Take the second bull from your father's herd, the one seven years old. Tear down your father's altar to Baal and cut down the Asherah pole beside it.29 They asked each other, "Who did this?" When they carefully investigated, they were told, "Gideon son of Joash did it."
30 The men of the town demanded of Joash, "Bring out your son. He must die, because he has broken down Baal's altar and cut down the Asherah pole beside it." 31 But Joash replied to the hostile crowd around him, "Are you going to plead Baal's cause? Are you trying to save him? Whoever fights for him shall be put to death by morning! If Baal really is a god, he can defend himself when someone breaks down his altar."

(Judges 6:25-31) We notice in this passage that Gideon's FATHER was a Baal worshiper. Here he'd heard all that God had done for the Israelites but his own family had turned away from worshiping God and did what was detestable in His eyes, idol worship. For Gideon too to ask God "WHY" all this had happened to Israel.

34 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet, summoning the Abiezrites to follow him. 36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised- 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.

(Judges 6:34-40) God was SO patient with Gideon! An angel of the Lord appeared to him and said he'd be the one to save Israel and yet Gideon on multiple occasions asks questions and asks for signs! Also, after being told to tear down the Baal idol, he fears man so much, he takes it down at night when no one is watching!

Psalm 56:4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

God, when you come to me wanting me to do something, help me to have the right response! Help me too God not to get caught up in the "why" but to try to focus on the task at hand and what You want accomplished.


John 8
3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

What words did Jesus write in the sand? Knowing the hearts and minds and deeds of ALL the people gathered around, He convicted each of them and that's why they walked away. God, we are ALL guilty of sin, help us to realize that we're no better than anyone else.

Pharisees 21Once more Jesus said to them, "I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. 23But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." 29The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him." 30Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him. 31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 34Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

"You will die in your sin" and believe "the father of lies." (Vs 21 & 44) Thank you for sending Jesus who's not of this world, to save us! (vs 23)

45Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God." 50I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word.

Lord, help me to keep your word (51) and to not seek the glory of men.(vs 50) Help me to live a life that pleases you (vs 29) Thank you God for setting me free (vs 32). Help me cling to the truth (vs 43). Remind me that only Jesus Himself is the only person who can ever say "can you prove me guilty of sin?" (vs 46)

No comments:

Post a Comment