Friday, October 24, 2008

Witnessing opportunities

Our study in Thrive last night had us discussing what hinders us from sharing about God. We were encouraged to write down why we don't proclaim God everywhere we go and to write scripture verses to refute it!

I wrote two answers:

First, I make up an excuse that I really don't know any non-Christians :) And, the non-Christians that I do know, I'm afraid of how they'd react! I also said that there aren't really any opportunities for me to share the gospel!

A few verses that came to mind to refute my excuses were-
John 12:43  "for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God"

Psalm 56:4b "In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can mere man do to me?"
I need to make sure I care more about what GOD thinks than what others may think of me for proclaiming Him.

Matthew 10:33  "Whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven."

Even living in conservative Orange County, there are families here who are unchurched and need God in their lives!  

Matthew 9:37  "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few"
 
This morning, we were COMPLETELY out of milk. Before exiting the car, the kids and I prayed for witnessing opportunities. Abby just so happened to be wearing her Compass shirt too ;) We brought Fall Fest flyers and 2 out of 3 people were very excited about it! In fact, one lady said she'd attended the Eggstravaganza (our Easter outreach) hosted by Compass Bible Church.

The last woman I approached said she had plans the evening of the event. I started to say, oh, it's hosted by Compass Bible Church...and she said well, thanks for the info and walked away. My mind started thinking, this woman probably needs to hear the gospel! She walked away when I brought up church...aren't the people who refuse our flyers probably the people we need to speak with the most???

I have one friend who, whenever I read her facebook status, it always says something like "just shared Christ with the Fed Ex guy" just "invited the grocery store worker to church Sunday". I want to be BOLD for Christ like that and equipped with the words to help lead others to repentance and faith! I'm going to write that friend later today for advice to see what words to speak to help lead in to conversation about God! I'm just at such a loss for words!

Three years ago, I couldn't picture myself even handing out a flyer to a church event. I then started going with groups of other women to pass out flyers and now, the kids and I go out on our own to find families we can invite to church!

I want to look back at this present time in my life in a few years and say, back then, I didn't know how to talk to people about Christ, I only invited them to church! I want my goal to be that I'm able to talk to everyone I meet about God, His love for us and how He sent His son to pay the penalty for my sin.

I've got my Umbrella method bracelet on and the kids and I are going out to pass out more flyers this AM! Praying for boldness!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rebecca - when you get those witnessing ideas from her (I know who you are talking about because I admire her status updates too), please share some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Rebecca! I know who you are talking about too, and she is amazing in her boldness for Christ! I can't wait to hear about your great morning shopping and passing out flyers. You are setting a great example for your kiddos too!

    ReplyDelete